H. O. P. E. Program
*Health *Outreach *Promotion *Education
"BUILDING HEALTHIER AND STRONGER COMMUNITIES"
A Community Health Worker (CHW) is a frontline public health worker who is a trusted member of and/or has an unusually close understanding of the community served. This trusting relationship enables the CHW to serve as a liaison/link/intermediary between health/social services and the community to facilitate access to services and improve the quality and cultural competence of service delivery.
A CHW also builds individual and community capacity by increasing health knowledge and self-sufficiency through a range of activities such as outreach, community education, case management, informal counseling, social support and advocacy.
Brochure: Community Health Worker
The ROLE of a Sunset CHW:
- To improve the quality of life of those we serve by providing health education services
- To assist patients to manage and understand their chronic disease condition
- To coordinate services with multiple community organizations to help improve the quality of life of individuals and their family
- To raise public awareness on areas most affected by our community
The GOAL of a Sunset CHW:
- To fulfill some of the patient’s social needs by partnering and working together with multiple community organizations
- For families to incorporate simple life style changes in their life
- To assist patients to navigate the health care system
- To improve the health levels recommended by the medical provider
How can a Sunset CHW help you and your family?
- By providing important educational tools and information about your chronic condition
- By guiding you on how to better manage and control your chronic disease by making simple lifestyle changes
- By working closely with your medical provider in your care coordination plan
- By providing you with information on different community programs and resources that may improve your quality of life.
- One on one health education
- Educational group sessions
- Scheduling of a medical appointment
- Eligibility and enrollment services
- Transportation services
- Medication assistance
- Interpretation and translation assistance
Diabetes Self-management - An educational program designed for diabetics and their family providing important education about diabetes, its symptoms, complications, medication and nutritional habits.
- What is Pre-Diabetes
- What is Diabetes Type 2
- Acanthosis Nigricans
- Cigarettes and Diabetes
- The Problem of Sexual Impotence with Diabetes
Cardiovascular Disease Prevention - An educational program designed for parents and their children providing important education about high blood pressure, cholesterol, your weight and the nutrients that affect your health.
Healthy Nutritional Choices - An educational program designed for parents and their children providing relevant education related to good nutrition, physical activity and carbohydrate counts.
Brochure: Choose My Plate
Smoking Cessation - The tobacco cessation program is designed to help our patients stop smoking by providing them with all of the essential information and strategies needed to direct their own efforts at stopping. The program focuses on an active sensible approach to quitting smoking through active participation, group and most importantly family support. Participants are encouraged to apply what they learn in during the educational program to other aspects of their lives.
Brochure: Quit Tobacco
Gestational Diabetes Self-management - An educational program designed for expecting mothers who have been diagnosed by helping them understand the disease, facilitating information on ways to cope with symptoms, complications, nutritional habits, and guidance for healthier life style.
Hypertension Education - An educational program designed for adults providing information and activities on heart disease and stroke an on the major risk factors for these diseases. It also provides information on risk factors that begin in childhood and the importance of communicating effectively with the health care provider.
Brochure: Arterial Hypertension
Asthma Self- care and Control - An education program designed for patients and their children providing important education about Asthma, its symptoms, complications, medication, and information on self-management techniques that will help them control their Asthma.
Health Rhythms - An education program that empowers-drumming, which research has proven significant increase the disease fighting activity of circulating white blood cells. The program is all about learning, discovering, enjoying and sharing musical insights that can help everyone improve quality of life. The purpose of the program is to teach key insight and techniques for effectively facilitating drum circles in health and wellness groups.
Loving yourself: Self-Care to Improve Emotional Wellness - An education program designed to develop knowledge and skills in our patients and the community, to achieve the integration of physical health with emotional health. This program seeks to eliminate the stigma that exist in our community about emotional health, highlight the importance and the impact that has on the physical health and educate patients recognize that productive emotional well-being is essential to live a healthy life.
Brochure: Loving Yourself Emotional Wellness
ADHD Education & Awareness- CHW’s provide awareness and education to parents about additional community resources available for children ages 5-18 years diagnose with ADHD. By providing additional resources, we can equip parents with the proper tools focused in helping your child obtain the proper care and professional intervention.